Curculio Scholarly Books
Philosophy and History Catalogue
Form of Payment: Check or money order with order in US dollars.
All currency-exchange and bank charges are the responsibility of the buyer.
Make checks payable to 'Michael Hendry' and mail them to:
229 E. Beverley, Apt. 1
Staunton, VA 24401
All orders and inquiries should be sent to
I will give you my telephone number if you e-mail first, but prefer not to
put it on this page.
Returns Policy: Returnable if not as advertised.
Book Rate: $3 for one book + $1 for each additional
First Class: $5 for one book + $1.25 for each additional book.
the Spanish Clásicos Ebro series, shipping costs are half the usual
Shipments sent via FedEx or UPS and all shipments outside the U.S. are
charged actual cost. I can quote an estimated price before shipping.
Note: Books or whole categories added this month have are marked
(12/07). Note: This symbol (U for 'unique') means that there are apparently no other used
copies available anywhere in the world: . (If you find one,
send me the URL, and I will very likely lower my price.)
Philosophy and History
- R. D. Archer-Hind (ed.), The Timaeus of Plato, 1973 Ayer reprint of 1888 London edition. Ugly library binding.
Fine, no DJ, as issued. $90.00.
- Alan F. Blum, Socrates: The Original and its Images,
Routledge & Kegan Paul, 1978. NF/VG. $16.00. (12/07)
- Ronna Burger, The Phaedo: A Platonic Labyrinth. NF:
corners very slightly rubbed, otherwise pristine, no DJ. $80.00. (12/07)
- John Burnett, Sophistes and Politicus of Plato, 1973
Ayer reprint of 1867 Oxford edition. Cover slightly worn, one tiny spot
and a light smudge on page edges, contents totally clean and tight, apparently unread. Ugly library binding. No DJ, as issued.
- G. M. A. Grube, Plato's Thought. Paper, cover slightly
discolored by water damage, especially on back, all pages slightly wrinkled in
bottom half. Entirely readable: nothing even slightly stuck together. In print
at $10.95. Our price: $4.00.
- J. Harward, The Platonic Epistles, Arno Press, 1976
reprint of 1932 Cambridge edition. Ugly library binding. Cloth, no DJ
(as issued). NF. $28.00. (12/07)
- Jacob Klein, Plato's Trilogy: Theaetetus, the Sophist and the
Statesman, U. Chicago, 1977. Cloth NF/VG+ except some spotting
on out page edges. $40.00. (12/07)
- Richard Kraut, Socrates and the State, Princeton University
Press, Princeton, NJ, 1984. Cloth, no DJ. Near Fine. $30.00. (12/07)
- J. Moore-Blunt (ed.), Plato: Epistulae,
Teubner, Leipzig, 1985. F, no DJ. In print at $29.95. Our price:
- Paul Shorey, The Unity of Plato's Thought. 1980
Garland reprint of 1904 Chicago edition. Handsomely bound for a
reprint. NF. $30.00. (12/07)
- Marion Soreth, Der Platonische Dialog Hippias Maior, Zetemata
Monographien zur klassischen Altertumswissenschaft, Heft 6, Munich,
1953. Paper, 64 pages. VG: browned, binding fragile, some wear
to bottom edges, corners bumped, text clean and tight. $15.00. (12/07)
- R. F. Stalley, An Introduction to Plato's Laws,
Hackett, 1983. F/F. In print at $46.50. Our price: $34.00.
- Martinus Wohlrab (ed.), Platonis Theatetus,
1980 Garland reprint of 1891 Leipzig Teubner edition with Latin
commentary. Handsomely bound for a reprint. NF: slight rubbing of
corners is the only thing keeping it from being Fine. $100.00.
Aristotle -- Half-Price Oxford Classical Texts: (12/07)
For half-priced Loeb
Aristotles, see the Classics page.
- Special offer: All four titles for
$100.00, with free book-rate postage within the U.S. (if you buy all
- Aristotelis De Anima, ed. W. D. Ross, Oxford Classical
Text: 1963 reprint of 1956 first edition. Cloth, NF/VG:
spine dingy, rest of cover slightly dingy, pos, text totally clean and tight. In print at
$45.00. Our price: $22.50.
- Aristotelis Metaphysica, ed. W. Jaeger, Oxford Classical
Text: 1969 reprint of 1957 first edition. Cloth, NF/VG: spine
dingy, rest of cover slightly dingy, a couple of light spots on page
edge, pos, text totally clean and tight. In print at $70.00. Our price:
- Aristotelis Physica, ed. W. D. Ross, Oxford Classical
Text: 1966 corrected reprint of 1950 first edition. Cloth, NF/VG:
spine dingy, rest of cover slightly dingy, pos, text totally clean and tight. In print at $48.95. Our price:
- Aristotelis Politica, ed. W. D. Ross, Oxford Classical
Text: 1973 reprint of 1957 first edition. Cloth, NF/VG: spine
dingy, rest of cover slightly dingy, pos, text totally clean and tight. In print at
$45.00. Our price: $22.50.
- Aristoteles, De Arte Poetica Liber, ed. Iohannes Vahlen,
3rd edition, Berlin, 1885, reprinted by Georg Olms of Hildesheim, 1964
(Olms Paperbacks 5). Paper, lower right corner bent, cover a bit
shelfworn, otherwise NF -- pages totally clean and tight. $23.00. (12/07)
- Aristotle's Metaphysics, A Revised Text with
Introduction and Commentary by W. D. Ross. Two volumes, Oxford University
Press, 1975 reprint of the 1924 first edition. Note: This is not the
1997 Sandpiper reprint. NF/NF. $90.
- Aristotle, Metaphysics, translated with commentaries
and glossary by Hippocrates G. Apostle, Indiana University Press, VG except POS
in tattered DJ. In print at $40. Our price: $20.
- Aristotle, Metaphysics Gamma, Delta, Epsilon,
translated with notes by Christopher Kirwan. Oxford, 1971, Clarendon Aristotle
Series. Paper, VG except pos, edges worn, cover rubbed, insides clean and
- Aristotle, Prior and Posterior Analytics, ed. David
Ross, Garland Press, 1980 reprint of original 1949 Oxford edition. NF, no DJ
(as issued). $90.
Other Philosophy -- Mostly Epicureans:
- Special offer: Both of the following titles (a matched
pair) for $75.00.
- C. W. Chilton, Diogenes of Oenoanda: The Fragments, A
Translation and Commentary, Oxford University Press for the
University of Hull, 1971. F/F with clear plastic cover over original
DJ, except lightly penciled price inside back cover. $55.00.
- Diogenis Oenoandensis Fragementa, ed. C. W. Chilton,
Teubner, 1967. Cloth, no DJ, F except for tiny inked price inside back
cover. Out of print: $25.00.
- Epicurus, Epistulae Tres et Ratae Sententiae, ed. P.
von der Muehll, Teubner, 1982 reprint of 1922 edition. Paper, NF. In
print at $28. Our price: $18.00. (12/07)
- J. M. Rist, Plotinus: The Road to Reality. Cambridge
U. Press, 1980 reprint of 1977 paperback edition of 1967 original.
Paper: NF. $36.00. (12/07)
- The Pythagorean Golden Verses, with
Introduction and Commentary by Johan C. Thom. E. J. Brill,
Religions in the Graeco-Roman World Series, 1995. F/F. $200.00.
Miscellaneous -- Mostly Ancient History:
- F. E. Adcock, The Roman Art of War Under the Republic.
Martin Classical Lectures VIII. 1981 Barnes & Noble unaltered
reprint of 1960 Heffer slightly altered reprint of 1940 Harvard
University Press original. Cloth, no dj (as issued?), NF. $10.00.
- Norman H. Baynes, The Hellenistic Civilization and East
Rome, The James Bryce Memorial Lecture, Somerville College, Oxford, 17
November 1945. Paper, 48 pages. Slightly soiled front and back, spine slightly
cracked, contents NF. $3.50.
- Martin Bernal, Black Athena, Volume I: The Fabrication of
Ancient Greece 1785-1985. Rutgers, 1987. Paper, VG (cover a bit
scratched and bent, contents totally clean). $8.00.
- Anthony Bridge, Theodora: Portrait in a Byzantine Landscape.
Cassell, London, 1978. NF/NF. $9.00.
- Robert Browning, Justinian and Theodora. Thames & Hudson, revised edition, 1987. F/NF except
inked pos, penciled price inside front cover. $10.00.
- Jacob Burkhardt, Judgments on History and Historians,
translated by Harry Zohn, with an introduction by H. R. Trevor-Roper, Beacon
Press, 1958. Ugly library binding, VG, a bit dingy and front cover slightly
wrinkled on outside edge, insides clean and tight. $27.00.
- J. B. Bury, History of the Later Roman Empire, two
volumes, Dover reprints. Paper, NF. $10.00. (12/07)
- Historia Philosophiae Graecae: Testimonia Auctorum conlegerunt
notisque instruxerunt H. Ritter et L. Preller, 7th edition,
revised by Fr. Schultess and Ed. Wellmann, Gotha, 1888. Cloth.
Condition: outside is worn, especially on corners, spine skillfully
repaired, penned shelf number on spine. Inside: front and rear hinges
weak, library date-stamp slip, pocket, and charge card inside back
cover. (Last checked out by V. Cernansky in 1949.) Title page
detached and missing parts around all four sides, next sheet
(containing two-page preface) partially detached and missing bits of
right edge, third sheet missing bits of right edge, folded on lower
corner, last sheet (containing last 2 pages of index) detached but
complete. Despite these losses, no text is missing from any page, and
all pages are (at least partially) present. Text seems totally clean and unmarked.
- Walter Kaufmann, Tragedy and Philosophy, Princeton,
1968. Paper, VG: contents totally clean, outside a bit worn and slightly bent.
- Arnoldo Momigliano, Contributi alla Storia degli Studi
Classici e del Mondo Antico I-IX, complete in six single and
three double volumes. Paper, NF, pages cut, pos, contents totally
clean and tight. $900.00. All except VIII are out of print, though
most can be bought separately used in various conditions for various
(mostly high) prices. As a set, it is:
- Theodor Mommsen, The Provinces of the Roman Empire: The
European Provinces. ed. T. R. S. Broughton. U. Chicago Press,
1968. Paper, NF/VG: totally clean and tight inside, slightly worn
- L. R. Palmer, Achaeans and Indo-Europeans; an inaugural
lecture delivered before the University of Oxford on 4 November 1954. Oxford,
1955. Paper, VG. $3.50.
- H. M. D. Parker, The Roman Legions. 1971 Heffer/Barnes
& Noble unaltered reprint of 1958 Heffer corrected reprint of 1928
Oxford edition. Cloth, NF/NF except corners bumped. $7.00.
- Colin Renfrew, Archaeology & Language: The Puzzle of
Indo-European Origins, Cambridge University Press, 1987. NF/NF except 4
tiny spots on front cover, small tear on 1 corner of jacket. $25.00.
- Leo Strauss, On Tyranny, revised and expanded edition,
including the Strauss-Kojève correspondence, The Free
Press, New York, 1991. Large paperback, NF. In print at $18.00. Our
- Wilhelm Vischer, Kleine Schriften, Erster Band,
Historische Schriften, ed. H. Gelzer, Leipzig, 1877, 615 pages.
Contains 14 articles, on Kimon, Perdikkas II, Epaminondas, Alcibiades
and Lysander, the use of old comedy as a historical source, the
historicity of the speeches in Thucydides, specific passages of
Isocrates and Polybius, lots more, also four hefty reviews. Original
leather, worn all around, top of spine torn but all there, no dj (of
course), pages brittle, first two sheets (both blank) detached but
present, some others loose but still attached, library bookplate and
'withdrawn' stamp inside front cover, charge sheet (stamped "13
Jul'38") and pocket with card inside back cover, apparently never
checked out. $10.00.
Mediaeval and Renaissance Philosophy and
- Georges Duby, France in the Middle Ages, 987-1460,
Basil Blackwell, 1991. NF/NF. $24.00.
- Einhard, The Life of Charlemagne, with a foreword by
Sidney Painter, Ann Arbor, University of Michigan Press, 11th printing, 1979.
Paper, VG+. $4.00.
- Charles Homer Haskins, The Renaissance of the Twelfth
Century, Harvard, 1927, 8th printing, 1982. Paper, VG+: two corners
slightly bent, ugly price sticker on front cover, contents totally clean.
- Le Roy Ladurie, Carnival in Romans, George Braziller,
1979. Cloth, NF/VG+. $14.00.
- Anthony Quinton, Francis Bacon, Oxford Past Masters
series, New York, Hill & Wang, 1981. F/NF.
- Winthrop Wetherbee, The Cosmographia of Bernardus
Silvestris, Columbia University Press, 1990. Near Fine in wax paper (as
issued) dust jacket. Jacket is wrinkled and missing a 1" piece in the back.
Philosophy and History
- Max Alter, Carl Menger and the Origins of Austrian
Economics. Westview Press, 1990. Out of print. $32.00.
- A History of Private Life: Riddles of Identity in Modern
Times. This is Volume 5 of 5. General Editors: Philippe Ariès
and George Duby. Editors: Antoine Prost and Gérard Vincent. Harvard,
1991. NF/VG+. $12.00.
- John Locke, Two Treatises of Government, a critical
edition with an introduction and apparatus criticus by Peter Laslett. Second
edition, Cambridge University Press, 1970. VG in creased and slightly torn wax
paper jacket (as issued). Would be NF except for three tiny spots on back
cover, unobtrusive streak on front cover. Contents F. $50.00.
- Markovic, Mihailo, Dialectical Theory of Meaning,
Dordrecht, Holland; Boston, USA; London, England: D. Reidel Publishing Company,
1984. Cloth. Very Good/Very Good. Boston Studies in the Philosophy of Science,
Volume 81. ISBN:9027715963. In print at $348.00 (sic). Our price: only
- Forrest McDonald & Ellen Shapiro McDonald, Requiem:
Variations on Eighteenth-Century Themes. U. Kansas, 1988. NF/G. Out of
- David L. Norton, Democracy and Moral Development: A Politics of
Virtue. California, 1991. NF/NF. In print at $25.00. Our price: $12.00.
- David L. Norton, Personal Destinies: A Philosophy of Ethical
Individualism. Princeton, 1976. Paper: lower front corner bent, back
cover soiled, contents totally clean and tight. In print at $33.00. Our price:
- Daniel Pipes, Russia under the Old Regime. Scribner's,
1974. VG/G. $20.00.
- Joseph Raz, The Morality of Freedom. Oxford, 1986.
Paper, VG+: cover a bit scratched and wrinkled, contents totally clean and
tight. In print at $35.00. Our price: $21.00.
- Thomas Reid, Practical Ethics, Being Lectures and
Papers on Natural religion, Self-Government, Natural Jurisprudence, and the Law
of Nations. Edited from the manuscripts with an introduction and commentary by
Knud Haakonssen. Princeton, 1990. F/F. $44.00.
- Jean-Jacques Rousseau, Du Contrat Social. Edited with
an Introduction and Notes by Ronald Grimsley. Critical edition of the French
text, with notes in English, but no translation. Oxford University Press, 1972.
- Thao, Tran Duc, Investigations into the Origins of Language and
Consciousness, Dordrecht, Holland; Boston, USA; London, England: D.
Reidel Publishing Company, 1984. Cloth. Near Fine/Very Good. Boston Studies in
the Philosophy of Science, Volume 44. ISBN:9027708274. In print at $174.50. Our
- Thao, Tran D.; Herman, Daniel J.; Morano, Donald V.
Phenomenology and Dialectical Materialism (Boston Studies in the
Philosophy of Science, No. 49) Norwell, MA, U.S.A.: Kluwer Academic Publishers,
1985. Cloth. Near Fine/Near Fine. Boston Studies in the Philosophy of Science,
Volume 49. In print at $193.50. Our price: $110.00.
- Sun Tzu, The Art of War: the Oldest Military Treatise in the
World, translated from the Chinese with introduction and critical notes
by Lionel Giles, M.A. Publication information is all in Chinese, so I can't
read it. The very detailed English notes also have a great deal of Chinese in
them. The book looks to be 20-30 years old. VG/VG. Front edge dented, one
thread loose on back (as manufactured), boards not entirely flat (again
probably as manufactured), otherwise very handsome. $20.00.
over Multiple Eras
- Philippe Aries and Georges Duby, general editors, A
History of Private Life, complete in 5 volumes. Cloth: NF/VG+,
contents totally clean and tight, covers very slightly wrinkled on
some edges. Set: $75.00. (12/07)
- Daniel Boorstin, The Creators: History of Heroes of the
Imagination. Random House, 1992, 800+ pages. NF/NF. $20.00.
- Henry Corbin, Histoire de la Philosophie Islamique I: Des
Origines jusqu'a la Mort d'Averroës (1198). NRF/Gallimard, 1964.
Paper: cover bent on one corner, pages slightly browned, starting to come loose
but still far from detached in two places. $7.00.
- Peter Paret (ed.), Makers of Modern Strategy: from Machiavelli
to the Nuclear Age. Princeton, 1986. 940 pages. Paper. NF. In print at
$29.95. Our price: $18.00.
Theory and Such
- Louis Althusser, For Marx. Verso, 1979. Paper, NF (one
corner slightly bent, contents totally clean). $9.00.
- Louis Althusser, Lenin and Philosophy and Other Essays.
Monthly Review Press, 1971. Paper, VG (cover rubbed, contents totally clean).
- Georges Bataille, Literature and Evil, Urizen Books,
New York, 1973. Paper, VG. $10.00.
- Gilles Deleuze, Logique du Sens (in French), Les
Editions de Minuit, 1969. Paper, cover slightly bent, spine slightly soiled,
price penciled on front end paper, contents clean and tight: call it VG+.
- Paul Hernadi (ed.), What is Criticism? Indiana, 1981.
NF/VG. Out of print. $16.00.
- Wolfgang Iser, The Act of Reading: A Theory of Aesthetic
Response, Johns Hopkins, 1978. Paper, VG. In print at $19.95. Our
- Hans Robert Jauss, Aesthetic Experience and Literary
Hermeneutics, Theory and History of Literature, Volume 3. U. Minnesota,
1982. Paper, VG (a bit worn around edges, pigment scraped off in two spots on
front, one on back, contents clean and tight). Out of print. $45.00.
- Hans Robert Jauss, Toward an Aesthetic of Reception,
Theory and History of Literature, Volume 2. U. Minnesota, 1992. Paper, VG+ (a
bit worn around edges, contents clean and tight). In print at $17.95. Our
- Julia Kristeva, Desire in Language: A Semiotic Approach to
Literature and Art., Columbia, 1980. Cloth: some mold between cover and
dustjacket, otherwise NF. Could be rebound: no mold on the inside. Cloth out of
print, paperback in print at $22.50. Our price: $4.00.
- Georg Lukács, Essays on Realism. MIT, 1981. VG+
in slightly musty DJ. $22.00.
- Michael Ryan, Marxism and Deconstruction: a Critical
Articulation. Johns Hopkins, 1982. Out of print. VG/VG except
scratch/dent in front cover (hidden by DJ). $10.00.
- Edward W. Said, The World, the Text, and the Critic.
Harvard, 1983. VG/VG. $6.00.
- Susan R. Suleiman and Inge Crosman (edd.), The Reader in the
Text. Princeton, 1980. NF/VG. $40.00.
- Robert Young, Untying the Text: A Post-Structuralist
Reader. Routledge, 1981. Out of print, no used copies listed on Amazon
or ABE. NF/VG (back of DJ torn at bottom). $50.00.